Substance Use and Abuse: A family disorder
For most adults, moderate alcohol use is probably not harmful. However, about 18 million adult Americans have an alcohol use disorder. This means that their drinking causes distress and harm. It includes alcoholism and alcohol abuse. The information below is meant to serve as a guidepost for those dealing with alcohol issues and not meant to diagnosis or treat.
Please contact me directly to discuss your options as often times therapy may also require the assistance of your physician or recovery team.
- Alcohol and Drug Treatment: How It Works, and How It Can Help You (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) - PDF Also in Spanish
- Naltrexone for Alcoholism (American Academy of Family Physicians) Also in Spanish
- Treatment for Alcohol Problems: Finding and Getting Help (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism) Also in Spanish
- Understanding Alcohol Use Disorders and Their Treatment (American Psychological Association) Also in Spanish
- What Is Substance Abuse Treatment? A Booklet for Families (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) - PDF